Course Code: MP007
This unit will provide the learner an opportunity to understand the uses of finance in a business organization. It will help the learner analyze and read the various financial statements and determine their use in decision making for the management. This unit will also provide the learner the insight on budgeting and costing in a business. Finally the learner will derive techniques for the analyzing the financial performance of the business.
This course will enable the learner to achieve the following skills and knowledge:
1. Examine the various sources of short and long term finance for a business and its influence on decision making
2. Analyze the implications of finance as a resource within a business
3. Identify and evaluate key financial information (budgeting and costing) used to make valuable financial decisions in business.
4. Analyze and interpret general purpose financial statements used to determine the financial performance of a business.
Students applying for the program would benefit more readily if they meet with one of the following:
1. An appropriate Diploma
2. An appropriate professional qualification
Mature executives who do not possess the above mentioned qualification but with substantial experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Student progress is monitored by continuous assessment. A variety of assessment methods will be used, for example, assignments, business style reports, case studies, logbooks, observations, oral presentations, personal audits, portfolios, role-play and projects. Students are graded at either Distinction, Merit , Pass or Fail.
- Short Term and long term sources of finance
- Influence of financial options selected ,Making the right choice
- Costs associated with Business
- Financial Decision analysis
- Recording of financial costs
- Budgeting process, Budget Preparation, Budgeting methods
- Project and Investment Appraisal
- Understanding Financial terms and Financial Documentation
- 10. Interpreting Financial Statements
The program consists of 8 weeks of part-time study in the evenings (once every week). Lectures are supplemented with case studies, group projects and discussions throughout the program. Students share their experiences with other students to enhance their expertise in a range of areas.
Students who successfully complete the program will be awarded with the unit Certificate in Finance Management by Edexcel, London UK.
Status of Qualification
Advanced vocational qualification. Students may progress into the Professional Program in Executive Human Resource Management or the Professional Program in Executive Business Management.